Saturday, July 2, 2011

My first time running with a partner, even if I did not intend to.

A lot of people say that one of the things they like about running is doing it with other people and having a chance to socialize while exercising.  Also, running with someone keeps you more motivated to actually stick with a plan since there is accountability.  It's a lot harder to put off a workout if you think someone else is waiting for you, even if the other person is thinking the same thing.

That's great and all, but for the most part, I like to run alone.  The main reason is this is the case is that during my workouts I like listening to podcasts on my phone.  I don't need another person to distract me because the podcasts do that.  Running is my chance to get away from people, to get away from my world.

Anyway, today I started an easy 30-minute alone, just like most of my workouts.  I had my phone set up to track the run and was listening to the newest video game podcast (there is a certain irony of listening to a podcast about a sedentary hobby while exercising) that I had downloaded.  I ran up South Street and about a half mile in I heard a jingle behind me.  I thought it was a bike and looked behind me, but didn't see anything.  Then I noticed in the corner of my eye something running diagonally across South Street towards me: a dog.  At first I scared that the thing was going to jump me, but he ran past me.  I started running again and he started following me.  

Another advantage of having my phone with me on my workout is that I have a camera with me.
Last time I wrote about running I talked about nipple chafing as a common problem for runners.  Well, apparently dogs are also a common problem for runners.  I had read about dogs when looking at stuff about running, but figured the problem was dogs attacking or running in your way from out of nowhere or leaving certain surprises in your path.  I never thought the problem would be that an unknown dog would decide to run with you for two miles.

I tried losing the dog a couple times, taking advantage of distractions such as squirrels, but every time I thought I had abandoned him, he found me again.  He kept weaving in front of me as I continued to run, making me worry that he would stop and cause me to trip over him.  Also, the dog forced me to change direction a couple of times because he was about to go into a busy street and I figured if he was going to follow me against my wishes I should at least keep him on side streets to keep him safe.

Perhaps my biggest concern was a selfish one.  During my run I came across several people out and about, whether walking or driving.  As far these people could tell, the dog was mine and I was being a very irresponsible owner, letting him run without a leash.  I think a couple of drivers who had to stop because the dog ran in the street gave me the evil eye, all while I was shaking my head and mouthing "it's not mine".

I kept hoping the dog would get tired or get distracted enough to go his own way.  Unfortunately, the dog made it through the rest of my workout and ended up at my house.

Standing outside our house, he just wouldn't go away.
In fact, even after I went inside, the dog stayed in our yard for an hour or two.  We tried calling a phone number on the dog's collar that appeared to be the owner's number.  Of course, the phone number was not in service.  I think my new friend has finally disappeared and hope that he made his way home.

Looking back, I take back what I said about not wanting to run with others.  I can say that with this running partner, I was distracted enough that I barely noticed I was exercising.

2 comments:

  1. I think I'd have kept him. :D Permanent running partner! And so gosh darn cute!
    **********************
    Brooke

    Nerds Get Married Too

    ReplyDelete
  2. He was a friendly guy but our current dog and mainly the cat wouldn't approve of him staying around.
    The biggest lesson here is keep your phone number current! The vet and pet recovery service just had that out of service number and no address. He probably wasn't too far from home so I'm hoping he found his way back.

    P.S. Does our porch floor look like it needs painting or is it just me?? :oP

    ReplyDelete