Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Video Game case art: Yoshi's Island

In a previous blogpost, I gave a sample of some DVD cases that I was working on.  Well, recently I came across some color ink for our printer and decided to go all out an make an entire (small) shelf-long picture.  I had a hard time picking a theme because I wanted something recognizable and simple but colorful and interesting.  I decided that my first "complete" DVD case art should consist of art from one of my favorite Super Nintendo games and one of the most beautiful games of all time: Yoshi's Island.  I decided to use a scene from the introduction where the Yoshis come upon baby Mario:


I used full-size Gamecube cases for this instead of the thin DVD cases I was planning because it was easier to fit a somewhat larger picture on them.  Here's what the final results look like:


The hardest part of this was trying to come up with a way to put legible text on the cases without it being in the way.  You may notice in the picture above that the left four cases are slightly different.  I tried to make the text blend in with the background, but that made the text hard to read, so I had to settle with using small print in a bright color:
I'm glad the camera is kind of crappy, otherwise you would be able to see that the game on the right is "Ribbit King". 
Well, that's it for this post.  Now to come up with another picture to use for more cases.

No comments:

Post a Comment